Monday, December 8, 2008

It Starts With You

My last post spoke of our ever dwindling individual effort. Today while searching for a good South African news feed I saw this tiny picture in the sidebar.

The picture is actually and advert for the movement for good. I haven't had a good look at their website yet, but I think you should check it out for yourself. http://www.itstartswithyou.co.za/

The picture instantly sums up everything about my last post. We need to forget about all our petty rivalry, all our stupid jealousy. We need to stop pointing the finger and take a long hard look at ourselves. It's not what everyone else is doing that matters, it's what you do.

On this note I will relate my recent epiphany. I play action soccer and will not deny that in the heat of the moment, when the frustration is building that my anger can boil over. I often release this in action soccer and will occasionally kick out a little at the opposition. Nothing malicious or spiteful or dangerous, just a little kick to let them know I'm there.

Anyway during one particularly heated match, I kicked out at a middle-aged coloured man. Despite the fact that he himself had been doing this the entire match he took it upon himself to swear at me and shove me in the face. Naturally I did raise my own voice a little as well. The incident passed and the game ended after ever rising tensions. After the game he approached me and said something along the lines of sorry. I barely held myself in check and accepted his apology with little grace.

Now a few days after this match I realised something. My frustration at the world and the general uselessness of people was making me less of a person. Rather than trying harder to be a better person I was simply beginning to hate everything and everyone. Those who know me can testify to my ability to hate the enemy sometimes. When I realised this I decided that I would strive everyday to hate less and love more.

This is a challenge for me. Long held grudges are hard to forget but I try and that is all that matters. Everyday I try to be a better person and do my bit to improve the world. If everyone does this the world will only improve. Maybe we can still halt the downward spiral and heal the decay of our world.
Just remember, it starts with you.







1 comment:

  1. I'm starting with the man in the mirror (oh yeah). I'm asking him to change his ways.

    ReplyDelete